A little while back, I got a note from The Diary of Sugar And Spice that she was nominating me for the Versatile Blogger Award. I’m not clear as to whether she’s Sugar or Spice.
The rules for dealing with this award, as noted here, involve the following:
- Thank the person who gave you this award. (Thanks, Sugar and Spice!)
- Include a link to their blog. (http://thediaryofsugarandspice.wordpress.com/)
- Next, select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly.
- Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award
- Finally, tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself.
For those who I am about to pass the award on to, please don’t feel obligated to do anything with it. The award isn’t created by any official group, like a WordPress Advisory Board or anything. It’s just one set of bloggers showing appreciation for the contributions of other bloggers.
However- I don’t like chain letters or posts that say “pass this on or else.” While I am following the rules of the award by listing fifteen bloggers below, my linking to you here doesn’t mean you’re required to do anything about it.
Moving on, then. I’m passing this on to:
And lastly, the requisite 7 Things About Myself:
- I have never seen The Godfather. Not part 1, part 2, or part 3. I’ve never read the novel either. For as much as I love movies, everyone just assumes that I’ve seen this at some point, I never have.
- I am immune to being earwormed by other people, but I earworm myself all the time.
- I spent a chunk of the early 1990s in a Rocky Horror Picture Show shadow cast. I was usually Brad, but I played Frank a few times.
- I only got my passport in 2006 because I wanted to see London. My goals at the time did not include any other destinations.
- I carry ear plugs with me every day, and especially to all the concerts I go to because my hearing is already starting to show signs of wear and tear. When I’m in a crowded restaurant or bar, I often can’t tell what people are saying to me because I have a difficult time parsing their words out of the background noise.
- Sometimes when I get going on a project or a blog post or something along those lines, I go into a sort of hyperfocus and lose all sense of time. It’s not uncommon for me to lose hours writing a series of blog posts. This is great for productivity, but bad for my health- when I am in this state, I forget to eat and I don’t notice the migraine forming until it’s far, far too late.
- I’m a chronic overpacker pretending to be someone who travels very light. I can usually get myself down to a single bag, but that bag is stuffed to the gills. On any given trip, I might have too many extra shirts, a flashlight, enough electronic gadgets to initiate a hostile takeover of RJR Nabisco from the road, and quite possibly a boat anchor. (Hey, you never know when you’ll need to stop in a hurry!)
Do you pack light or are you also prone to overpacking?
21 thoughts on “I got an award thingie!”
Chronic overpacker! I always start with the intent to pack lightly, but then “oh I might need that” and “that could come in quite useful” get tossed on, yadda yadda..
Worst offense is clothing, because I’m so indecisive about what I want to wear (or what might be needed at a variable weather destination) I end up bringing far too many choices. And because while there are stores everywhere, and little gadgets, toiletries etc are usually quite easy to find, I find it very difficult (and time consuming) to find clothes that fit. So I won’t chance not having my clothing!
If I get away with going on a weekend trip with just a backpack and my purse I consider it a big win. In fact, in the morning I’m headed off for 4 nights and already have the following laying out ready to stuff into my backpack:
2 pair jeans, 4 panties, a camisole, a sports bra, a sundress/cover up, pajama pants, 2 tank tops, and 3 t-shirts. Plus my dopp kit, my laptop/its power cord, and a pillow. It will be a tight fit to get everything in there. Doesn’t count the outfit and flip-flops I’ll wear tomorrow, my purse, and a shopping bag containing walking shoes, a pair of socks, and 3 or 4 books (depending if I finish one before bed tonight).
God forbid it would be a beach trip and I would need a bathing suit, beach towel, etcetc. or a trip where I’ve got a fancy dinner planned and so need a dress, proper underthings, different shoes, makeup, hair accessories…. I blame most of this on the fact that women’s fashion is complicated, even when you choose not to go high femme.
I could never travel as light as I do if I had to deal with bras, camisoles, and so on. Then again, sun-dresses take up much less room than jeans, so maybe there’s a trade-off.
Many books for me are replaced by a single slim gadget. What’s a Dopp kit?
I’ve got an iPad for ebooks, but as I am not flush enough to afford a 2-4 book-a-week habit, I can’t buy everything that I’d like to read (and the library access to ebooks is laughable). Plus most of what I want is not available in an e-version, and I don’t want to pirate things, so my library card gets a lot of use.
Dopp kit is a bag for your toothbrush and comb and deodorant and razor and shampoo and whatnot. Mine’s pretty small, maybe 10x2x4, I got it specifically so I’d have to pack lighter (literally! was annoyed how heavy it always was) on the toiletries front. Then again, on an overnight I just bring toothbrush, deodorant and a comb, and wear my glasses instead of needing to bring contact case and solution.
Oh! I don’t keep those in their own bag because they take less room stuffed into various pockets. Why’s it called a Dopp kit?
To the Google I go!
Congratulations on your thingie. 😀
Thanks! I am of the firm belief that thingies should be shared. Shared thingies bring joy.
You’re so right. Shared thingies bring the bestest type of joy. 😀 Thanks for sharing your award with me… and… why haven’t you seen Godfather? 🙂 I rarely hyperfocus, I have the opposite sort of problem… I have trouble 100% paying attention. And yes, I’m a chronic overpacker. 😀
I just never got around to seeing the godfather. No specific reason. I’ve seen lots of movies that reference it though so maybe that counts as life credits?
Pingback: ♥♥♥♥♥ | rarasaur
Ooh, you’ve just reminded me that I still need to do my post on this.
I’ve never seen any of the Godfather films either.
Ha! Love this! Your seven things are way more creative than mine were. I’ve never seen the Godfather films either..however, I’m not really into those types. And he packing thing…oh lord! Is this me! I fully intend to pack light but it never ends up that way!
Cool, thanks for passing it on! The passport fact definitely surprises me about you. I definitely overpack, but I am constantly improving. But yep, my bags couldn’t fit another thing, which turns out to be a good preventative measure when it comes to souvenir shopping.
I’d like to think I’m a light packer, but what I really am is very good at packing lots of stuff into a very small space. I have a method, and it’s amazing to see the amount of stuff I can pack in my travel bag. I can teach you to do it when you’re in South Florida again, but I warn you: it’s more of a suitcase tetris and less of “hey, I need this for my trip.” 😛 Congrats on your award.
Thanks for the award! I love these thingies 😀
I am definitely a chronic overpacker. My best is one bag and a small backpack.
Thanks for passing this on to me too, Steven!
I’ve never seen The Godfather movies either, and I’m also an overpacker. A girl likes to have options!
Congrats on your thingie and THANK YOU! for my thingie! Can’t wait to share the blogging love with other people this week. That being said, one of these days we’ll meet at a blogging event, right? And by event, I also mean I am capable of driving for social gatherings that involve food, beverages and sightseeing. Have a great weekend!
I certainly hope we’ll meet at a blogging event some time. There’s always WEBMU. 🙂
Congratulations on your award! That’s so awesome!
Heh, packing. I think I pack light. I take what I need, and always figure I’ll pick up whatever I need at my destination, or will need the room for souvenirs and whatnot.
Thanks Steven! I’m just catching up on things now so sorry I missed this earlier…
Additionally, love the Hannover pics above, and I’ve never seen The Godfathers either. Totally thought I was the only one there…
Hey, I’ve been slacking on my blog reading lately and just saw this — thanks for linking me! Since I’m constantly in the state of either packing or unpacking with my commuting back and forth between Bremen and Berlin, I like to keep things as light as possible. Sometimes I don’t always have exactly what I need with me, but I’ve kind of gotten used to that. 😉
Comments are closed.