Tomorrow is New Year’s Eve, or Silvester to the locals. They’re not directly analogous. Silvester is a religious holiday, the Feast Day of Pope Sylvester I. They both fall on December 31st, though. It’s traditional at this time of year to take a look back and see what you’ve accomplished over the last twelve months.
I visited these places that were new to me:
- Strasbourg, France
- Paris, France (This was in my 500 Days list.)
- Venice, Italy
- Rome, Italy
- Vatican City
- Zurich, Switzerland (Twice!)
- Dublin, Ireland
- Salzburg, Austria
- Cardiff Bay, Wales
- One Waterfall: The Rhine Falls
- Two Mountains: The Untersberg and the Zugspitze (This was in my 500 Days list.)
- Several Castles, including Schloss Neuschwanstein (This was in my 500 Days list.)
- Hannover & Minden, Germany
- Hamburg, Germany
- Wuppertal, Germany (This was in my 500 Days list. I went to see the hanging trains. I saw one, but it wasn’t running. My timing sucks.)
- Essen, Germany (For Star Wars Celebration Europe!)
- Freiburg, Germany
- Berchtesgaden, Germany
- The Dachau Concentration Camp
- Bavaria Filmdstadt (Where they made The Neverending Story!)
I repeat visited a few places:
- Frankfurt a bunch of times.
- The United States twice, once in March and once in November.
- London twice.
- Nuremberg and Munich countless times because they’re the closest large cities and neat stuff happens here.
I saw some great concerts and shows:
- Jamaram (Munich)
- Peter Cincotti (Minden, near Hannover)
- Depeche Mode (Munich)
- Leonard Cohen (Mannheim) – This is the man who wrote “Hallelujah,” perhaps the most frequently covered song in existence.
- Tegan & Sara (Offenbach, near Frankfurt)
- Lindsey Stirling (Hamburg)
- Cyndi Lauper (Ft. Lauderdale, Florida)
- Doctor Who at the BBC Proms: The 50th Anniversary Prom (London, at the Royal Albert Hall)
- Danny Elfman‘s Music from the Films of Tim Burton (London, at the Royal Albert Hall)
- The Book of Mormon (London)
- The Rocky Horror Show (Regensburg)
- West Side Story (Regensburg)
I had some new experiences:
- The Tollwood Silvester Party
- 2013 European Sled Dog Championships
- The X-Games Rallycross
- Oktoberfest in Munich (This was in my 500 Days list.)
I had some other things happen that were interesting:
- I witnessed the Donau River flooding.
- I ate horse meat for the second time.
- I was Freshly Pressed for the geekiest post I’ve written so far on this blog.
- I broke 1000 followers on WordPress.com.
Did you have a good year? What’s the most memorable thing you did this year?